View Single Post
Bubka3
Sir Buzz Killington, Esq.
Old 07-21-2014 , 02:35   Re: New API and Syntax
Reply With Quote #40

So I read over this about 5 times. Maybe I'm stupid (I probably am) but I just don't see the need for this. The reason I got in coding 4 years ago, is because of the simplicity of the SourcePawn language and the need to make my server more unique. I remember not knowing what anything means (my worst enemy was tag mismatch), but still getting basic things done like printing to chat, setting health, etc. After awhile, I finally began to really learn why I was getting tag mismatch, why this was done, why that was done. With C#/Java or "C# Lite" as it's been called in the first post I still probably would have been unable to exactly understand why most things are done are that way. Sure I could probably make some basic edits (because words and I can read), but I wouldn't be able to get the true meaning of things as I did for SourcePawn. I think the current ease of language not only allows complete newbies to try, but it also opens doors. It certainly did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Pawn is derived from "Small C", which was made in 1984. It has a number of severe syntactic and semantic flaws compared to modern languages, and it's become quite painful to use. All of its problems can be ultimately blamed on the tag system. The tag system erases type information, which prevents us from implementing garbage collection, which prevents us from implementing better datastructures, true arrays, true strings, objects, and lambda functions.
On the other hand, that (what I underlined) and the fact that I started with SourcePawn would probably explain why I am having a real hard time getting into newer modern languages, especially when they are object-based.