This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Did anybody see what happened at HLGuards forums?

Post New Thread Reply   

SweatyBanana
BANNED
Old 09-19-2006 , 23:28   Did anybody see what happened at HLGuards forums?
Reply With Quote #1

It was a while ago, but a big deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3Cool
Hello everyone.

The title is sad, but at the same time the truth I'm afraid.

Those who have kept an eye on the forums will know the most of the story, but for those who haven't, here is a quick summary of the events that led to this:
  • An commoner who had a history of personal problems with ZepheR posted about his problem with the latest nightly HLGuard build. After being asked to upgrade his OS because it was oudated and seemed to be the cause of the problem, he refused and argued against.
  • This apparently triggered ZepheR, and the two quickly got into a verbal fight. (In my opinion, they both had their share of stupid comments regarding that.)
  • At some point in this, ZepheR uses his admin powers to revoke the commoners posting ability. Besides that, he also demotes himself to the lowest user group, disabling his own ability to view any private forums or post anything on the forums at all.
  • A moderator asks for the topic to get back on track.
  • The commoner signs up with a different account and complains about being banned and more or less returns to the original topic.
  • The moderator finds the complaints unnecessary and closes the thread.
  • I finally get online. I re-opened the topic, lifted the bans, stated clearly that the topic should get back on track, but realized that ZepheR had already left the scene. I upgraded his account to normal user level on the way.
Later on i had personal conversations with ZepheR, but we were unable to agree on several core subjects, and eventually that made us go our own ways.

This is a great loss for myself and The Z Project. I've known ZepheR for many years, back from the days where CSGuard became HLGuard and United Admins was the home for a majority of Half-Life gamers. I'm not happy about letting him go, but in the last year or so i have been increasingly busy with real life, had less time to code on HLGuard, changed gaming interests a bit, never had much time to do anything with ZepheR, ..., all of which our friendship suffered from. At the point of this last conversation i had pretty much given up and let things happen as they did.

The development of HLGuard, our main project, will not directly be affected by this. Obviously ZepheR had a role in the development, but the rest of the team are able to cover his positions. tintin is doing a great job on the coding side of 1.9, and the rest of the team are working on testing and writing new configs. I'll leave info about 1.9 mostly up to tintin though, so go bug him instead.

There is one great visible problem to you guys though. I have been hosting The Z Project from the beginning of, but ZepheR technically owns our domain, thezproject.org. In our final conversation he made it clear that he did not intend to renew it nor transfer it to us when it runs out. That means that sometime before christmas, when ZepheR's subscription of thezproject.org runs out, and he does not renew it, http://www.thezproject.org/ will go offline.

I will, however, before that happens, copy or move all our stuff to another domain, but it will be somewhat hard to avoid massive confusion in any way. Houndreds of sites link to us and HLGuard itself checks our site for updates, so please bear with us a bit when that happens, things will get confusing without doubt.

I hope that cleared up any odd rumours floating around. I'm not planning on leaving the scene just yet, and with tintin doing the hard work (I'm just yelling at him to do this'n'that ), I'll be around for a good time to go.

I think they should combine with alliedmodders eh?

That would be cool cause then there would be an even bigger community..

Last edited by SweatyBanana; 09-19-2006 at 23:36.
Send a message via AIM to SweatyBanana Send a message via Yahoo to SweatyBanana
Lord_Destros
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2006 , 23:46   Re: Did anybody see what happened at HLGuards forums?
Reply With Quote #2

True but it would be the only mod on here which isn't free for public editing (well what I mean is the public can't easily modify things as they can with AMXX, SHM, or SMM plugins.
Send a message via AIM to Lord_Destros
{NM}Jason
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 09-19-2006 , 23:50   Re: Did anybody see what happened at HLGuards forums?
Reply With Quote #3

Old News
Shortly after posting that image, Jason crushed the truck into a ball with his hands, and tossed it over his shoulder.
Send a message via ICQ to {NM}Jason Send a message via AIM to {NM}Jason Send a message via MSN to {NM}Jason Send a message via Yahoo to {NM}Jason
pulpy
Old 09-20-2006 , 10:08   Re: Did anybody see what happened at HLGuards forums?
Reply With Quote #4

can he not buy the domain the day it runs out? Get another as a temp, just in case he misses it or doesnt get it.
Old 09-20-2006 , 11:50   Re: Did anybody see what happened at HLGuards forums?
Reply With Quote #5

No its something like 6 months before a domain name becomes reirculated.
Send a message via AIM to SweatyBanana Send a message via Yahoo to SweatyBanana