This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[L4D] Could rescue closets remain locked until survivor has died

Post New Thread Reply   

Sunyata
Old 06-04-2024 , 05:03   [L4D] Could rescue closets remain locked until survivor has died
Reply With Quote #1

Is there a plugin available that can lock all rescue closet doors on a map, ensuring they remain locked to avoid accidental or inadvertent opening by players or bots when not in use? While curiosity may lead some to open these doors, it can be problematic when the area is designated as a respawn point and is lost once the door is opened. It’s quite disheartening when a team’s strategic respawn location is lost due to one inexperienced or thoughtless player opening these doors without due consideration for the consequences.

A plugin that locks all the closet doors and only unlocks them upon the death of a survivor would greatly enhance the Left 4 Dead game. It would have been helpful if Valve had placed a notice on rescue doors advising players not to open them; it’s a bit myopic of Valve not to have thought of this, in retrospect. Before anyone mentions it, I am aware of a plugin that Silver's made for locking/unlocking every kind of door, but I am looking for something more specific to rescue points that the server could control rather than the player.

Does such a bespoke plugin exist for this purpose, or could one be developed by a skilled coder to possibly explore creating a solution?
Polyano
Old 06-06-2024 , 11:48   Re: [L4D] Could rescue closets remain locked until survivor has died
Reply With Quote #2

A much needed plugin, I kept telling noob/unaware players to not open the door, otherwise dead survivors won't respawn in maps with limited rescue closet. With this kind of plugin, I don't need to worry anymore when people open every single door in a campaign (I actually like doing that ritual too).

Option: Lock the door as TS suggested, or put a warning text box on nearby rescue closet to not open the door because there's currently a dead survivor, or just auto reset and close the door after the door get opened so that it can respawn dead survivor.

Currently I use an alternative plugin like Survivor Respawn Improved Version and I set the timer to 150 seconds. But of course I much prefer the vanilla solution to respawn dead survivors.
Sunyata
Old 06-06-2024 , 11:59   Re: [L4D] Could rescue closets remain locked until survivor has died
Reply With Quote #3

@Polyano,

It would indeed be a great plugin to have. I tried to create a lock door plugin myself but encountered issues with pre-hooking the events for 'rescue_door_open' and 'survivor_rescued'.

Currently, I'm experimenting with a new plugin by adapting Silver’s "respawn rescue closet" plugin, which you can find [HERE]. I aim to keep the respawn method the same as the vanilla version. I've got a draft version in progress, and I'll post a video of it in the next day or so.

Last edited by Sunyata; 06-06-2024 at 12:14. Reason: fixed broken link
Sunyata
Old 06-07-2024 , 04:46   Re: [L4D] Could rescue closets remain locked until survivor has died
Reply With Quote #4

Here's my preliminary plugin for the game's 'unoccupied' respawn closets, which adds a new respawn point after the player opens the rescue closet door.

Demo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thUoUSIlZ7E.

I'm currently dissatisfied with my results, as I'm relying on the player's reticle to teleport the respawn marker point to anywhere within the closet area, but it's not functioning as intended in the way I would like. I find the reticle not really suitable for placing a respawn marker point. I think the way forward would be to implement a trace function, which is beyond my capabilities, as I'm a novice coder at best. I believe it would be best tackled by someone with more experience in coding to find viable solutions here. So if anyone is up for the task to try and attempt to make a better version than I've done, then please feel free to do so.

Last edited by Sunyata; 06-07-2024 at 04:50.