This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?

Post New Thread Reply   

Sempiro
Old 05-21-2024 , 13:33   [L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

I run a dedicated game server on the same machine as my game client. While I understand this isn't generally recommended, it's been working fine for me as my friends are all local.

My usual process was to start the server, then the game, and use the "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command with my public IP. Then, I'd create a versus lobby and wait for someone to join. Once they did, I'd start the game, and the forced connection would direct everyone to my server.

Unfortunately, the most recent update seems to have broken this functionality. Despite using "mm_dedicated_force_servers", hitting "Start Game" now connects me to a random server. My server is still visible to others in the Server Browser under the Custom tab.

My question is: How can I get "mm_dedicated_force_servers" working again?

Additionally, the update seems to have disrupted Steam Group Servers. The list has disappeared, and my server is a Steam Group Server. Could this be related to the "mm_dedicated_force_servers" issue and the random server connections?
3ipKa
Old 05-21-2024 , 18:46   Re: [L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?
Reply With Quote #2

Valve has removed Steam Group Servers list. Try to set Best Available Dedicated in lobby settings along with mm_dedicated_force_servers command.

Last edited by 3ipKa; 05-21-2024 at 18:51.
Sempiro
Old 05-21-2024 , 22:32   Re: [L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ipKa View Post
Valve has removed Steam Group Servers list. Try to set Best Available Dedicated in lobby settings along with mm_dedicated_force_servers command.
Yes, this one worked, thanks a lot, man!

Those assholes just want to kill that game it seems with their fix-1-thing-break-100500-others-updates.
3ipKa
Old 05-21-2024 , 22:56   Re: [L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?
Reply With Quote #4

They had to do it. This system (matchmaking, servers list) was abused like a hell. They'll bring it back or do something new maybe...
cravenge
Veteran Member
Old 05-21-2024 , 23:55   Re: [L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempiro View Post
Hello,

I run a dedicated game server on the same machine as my game client. While I understand this isn't generally recommended, it's been working fine for me as my friends are all local.

My usual process was to start the server, then the game, and use the "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command with my public IP. Then, I'd create a versus lobby and wait for someone to join. Once they did, I'd start the game, and the forced connection would direct everyone to my server.

Unfortunately, the most recent update seems to have broken this functionality. Despite using "mm_dedicated_force_servers", hitting "Start Game" now connects me to a random server. My server is still visible to others in the Server Browser under the Custom tab.

My question is: How can I get "mm_dedicated_force_servers" working again?

Additionally, the update seems to have disrupted Steam Group Servers. The list has disappeared, and my server is a Steam Group Server. Could this be related to the "mm_dedicated_force_servers" issue and the random server connections?
Valve didn't exactly broke the command. More like they fixed it and now it's working as intended.

Best Available Dedicated is the proper lobby setting for connecting to community servers as it should have been in the first place and not Official with that command set like it did before. That's why the "mm_dedicated_force_official_servers" command was created.
Pa4H
Old 05-28-2024 , 05:30   Re: [L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?
Reply With Quote #6

Previously, connecting to a server using an IP address would create a game, and random people could connect via Quick match in the main menu. Now after these actions there is a black screen.
After the update, you need to create a lobby to do this and use the mm_dedicated_force_servers command.

Any news on this?
dustinandband
Old 05-30-2024 , 01:41   Re: [L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?
Reply With Quote #7

On a similar note, has the new mm_dedicated_force_official_Servers command stopped working for anyone else or just me? The regular mm_dedicated_force_Servers still works as long as "best available" option is selected. quick demo
cravenge
Veteran Member
Old 05-30-2024 , 06:57   Re: [L4D2] "mm_dedicated_force_servers" command does not work anymore?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinandband View Post
On a similar note, has the new mm_dedicated_force_official_Servers command stopped working for anyone else or just me? The regular mm_dedicated_force_Servers still works as long as "best available" option is selected. quick demo
There are still issues with matchmaking so we have to wait for Valve to address them.