This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

VB or EXE

Post New Thread Reply   

imported_YoMama
Old 11-08-2004 , 04:57  
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN
I vote for beating you over the head with a loaf of french bread
Aye!
Send a message via ICQ to imported_YoMama Send a message via MSN to imported_YoMama
imported_malex
Old 11-08-2004 , 07:02  
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
I vote for beating you over the head with a loaf of french bread
Think you can find one without a white flag sticking out of it?

\malex\
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 11-08-2004 , 18:16  
Reply With Quote #13

Hmm, what about an installer from something like PHP?

Then people could just run

php -q install-sourcemod.php -directory /blah/la/la/

and *bam* it'd do everything for them, plus it'd be cross compatible and anyone who is a serious server admin has php installed anyways .
imported_malex
Old 11-08-2004 , 18:23  
Reply With Quote #14

A serious server admin wouldn't be using the pre-made install script. The install script is for n00b admins, who (IMHO) shouldn't be running servers in the first place. Serious server admins will know how to install manually, or, in the case of large server farms, would script the installs in something more likely to exist on the server than PHP.

\malex\
imported_YoMama
Old 11-08-2004 , 18:55  
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by malex
A serious server admin wouldn't be using the pre-made install script. The install script is for n00b admins, who (IMHO) shouldn't be running servers in the first place. Serious server admins will know how to install manually, or, in the case of large server farms, would script the installs in something more likely to exist on the server than PHP.

\malex\
What a load of crap malex... Don't mistake your personal preferences with that from the general public. Not everyone starts out being "serious admin" (what do you mean by that anyway?). Were not here just for the elite few... Were here to bring this to a wide audience, including starters and not-so-leet admins.
Send a message via ICQ to imported_YoMama Send a message via MSN to imported_YoMama
imported_malex
Old 11-08-2004 , 20:10  
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMama
Quote:
Originally Posted by malex

\malex\
What a load of crap malex... Don't mistake your personal preferences with that from the general public. Not everyone starts out being "serious admin" (what do you mean by that anyway?). Were not here just for the elite few... Were here to bring this to a wide audience, including starters and not-so-leet admins.
You're correct, YoMama, no one starts out as an expert. We all go through the n00b stage. I am also not mistaking my preferences for the general public, I clearly marked what is my opinion. The "serious admin" is a reference to Downtown1's post, where he implies having PHP is a mark of a serious admin. In my talking to people I would call serious admins, not many would prefer to have a webserver installed on the game machine, much less PHP. Talking to those same people, I learned many have custom images of the game software and whatever addons, to facilitate server rebuilds. They would not use the installer.

Most lesser admins, those running just one or two servers, are perfectly capable of installing addons, as has been shown by the lack of official installers for AdminMod or AMX Mod or, until recently, AMX Mod X. For years now, those who wanted to host servers were rather successful without an installer.

Why is it we need an installer then? For n00b admins, who (IMHO) shouldn't be running a server because they do not have the necessary skills to properly maintain one. Creating such an installer would take time and resources that might best be spent on other parts of the project, parts used by more people.

Yes, I am an elitist bastard. Yes, I believe SourceMod should be distributed as source-only, with some documentation on the compilation process. No, I don't want there to be an easy installer. Yes, I am an elitist bastard, but no, I don't have the final say in the matter. I express my opnions like everyone else here, for whoever does have the final say. Bishop expressed his opinion that there should be an easy to use installer, I expressed mine that there shouldn't be one. In the end, neither he nor I have the final say in the matter, but we speak here to those in charge.

\malex\
rompom7
Old 11-08-2004 , 20:12  
Reply With Quote #17

I could make you a Perl script that installs SourcMod... Altough be kinda pointless if they don't have Perl installed.

Also, malex you can't except people that are not up to your standard shouldn't run a CS server... That is the worst thing I have ever heard.
Sveach
Old 11-10-2004 , 12:04  
Reply With Quote #18

Kinda like what adminmod did(does?). It was a pain to have to get Perl installed just to install adminmod...
Send a message via AIM to Sveach Send a message via MSN to Sveach
BAILOPAN
Old 11-10-2004 , 13:47  
Reply With Quote #19

Admin-Mod does not have a perl installer ;]

SourceMod will definitely have some sort of installer eventually, kind of like the one you will see for AMX Mod X in a few days. Written in a VB/NSIS combo.
imported_malex
Old 11-10-2004 , 14:51  
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
SourceMod will definitely have some sort of installer eventually, kind of like the one you will see for AMX Mod X in a few days. Written in a VB/NSIS combo.
A bit offtopic, but did you line up the labels yet, or will Florida server admins vote for Pat Buchanan accidently?

\malex\