This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20+ players possible)

Post New Thread Reply   

dacomb
Old 11-30-2009 , 15:42   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #31

I guess I'm just lost a bit... I'm pretty sure I have this all installed correctly.
Most of this is just plug and play... a few cvars in the server.cfg and you're gold but I can't get more than 4 players to connect even though HLSW reports 8 slots.

I'm using left4downtown-l4d2-23112009 along with bebop and I have this listed in my server.cfg

//GROUP SETTINGS
sv_steamgroup xxxxxxxx
sv_steamgroup_exclusive 1
sv_search_key "xxxxxxxxxx"
motd_enable 1

//NUMBER OF PLAYERS
sv_visiblemaxplayers -1
sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0
l4d_maxplayers "8"

My question is, do I connect to my server via HLSW and then invite players or have them directly connect via the console with the
connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx command or do I start a lobby and then have others join?
I tried a lobby but even if the lobby wasn't full players couldn't connect even with an invite.
If I need another plugin to allow Lobby connect and then invite connects what plugin is compatible?

Also, the front page says:
Quote:
when using l4dtoolz you only need to add the following stuff to your server.cfg
Code:
sv_maxplayers "whateveryouwant"
sv_visiblemaxplayers "-1"
sv_removehumanlimit "1"
sv_force_unreserved "1"
Obviously the first cvar is different with the downtown extension but the 3rd and 4th... are they necessary?

Also, would someone who's been successful using this be willing to write an Install Guide that covers step by step what to install and where and how to connect?
It seems that the plugin is dependent on several other independent plugins or extensions and they may or may not need a plugin or extension to make the do what you want but I seem to keep bouncing around from post to post and never feeling confident I have what need or that I did it correctly...
I for one would be most appreciative of a comprehensive HowTo on this

Last edited by dacomb; 11-30-2009 at 15:46.
Bigbuck
Old 11-30-2009 , 16:08   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #32

Neither of those two plugins spawn the bots automatically.
chickenside
Old 11-30-2009 , 16:50   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacomb View Post
Also, would someone who's been successful using this be willing to write an Install Guide that covers step by step what to install and where and how to connect?
It seems that the plugin is dependent on several other independent plugins or extensions and they may or may not need a plugin or extension to make the do what you want but I seem to keep bouncing around from post to post and never feeling confident I have what need or that I did it correctly...
I for one would be most appreciative of a comprehensive HowTo on this
Brief but hopefully comprehensive guide to how to get bebop working on a dedicated Linux L4D2 server.
  • Install latest version of Metamod (as of this post: mmsource-1.8.0-hg688 )
  • Restart your game server.
  • Confirm that Metamod is installed. In the server console type meta. You should get a list of Metamod commands like this:
meta
Metamod:Source Menu
usage: meta <command> [arguments]
alias - List or set an alias
clear - Unload all plugins forcefully
cmds - Show plugin commands
cvars - Show plugin cvars
credits - About Metamod:Source
force_unload - Forcefully unload a plugin
game - Information about GameDLL
info - Information about a plugin
list - List plugins
load - Load a plugin
pause - Pause a running plugin
refresh - Reparse plugin files
retry - Attempt to reload a plugin
unload - Unload a loaded plugin
unpause - Unpause a paused plugin
version - Version information
  • Install latest 1.3 dev Sourcemod (as of this post: sourcemod-1.3.0-hg2865).
  • Restart your game server.
  • Confirm that Sourcmod is installed. In the server console type sm. You should get a list of Sourcemod commands like this:
sm
SourceMod Menu:
Usage: sm <command> [arguments]
cmds - List console commands
config - Set core configuration options
credits - Display credits listing
cvars - View convars created by a plugin
exts - Manage extensions
plugins - Manage Plugins
profiler - Profiler commands
version - Display version information
sm exts list
[SM] Displaying 8 extensions:
[01] Automatic Updater (1.3.0-dev): Updates SourceMod gamedata files
[02] Webternet (1.3.0-dev): Extension for interacting with URLs
[03] SDK Tools (1.3.0-dev): Source SDK Tools
[04] BinTools (1.3.0-dev): Low-level C/C++ Calling API
[05] Top Menus (1.3.0-dev): Creates sorted nested menus
[06] Client Preferences (1.3.0-dev): Saves client preference settings
[07] SQLite (1.3.0-dev): SQLite Driver
[08] Left 4 Downtown Extension (0.3.2.0): Downtown1's extension to call do useful L4D1/L4D2 calls

• Increase the maxplayers in your server.cfg or on your game server startup line:
~/hlds/left4dead2/srcds_run left4dead2 -autoupdate -console -maxplayers 16 +hostip ****** +hostport 27015 +clientport 27015 +exec server.cfg +map c2m1_highway
  • Install Bebop.
  • If you're using Sourcemod 2865 you should be able to just put the bebop.smx file in your sourcemod/plugins folder.
  • If you're using a later version of Sourcemod, then compile the bebop.sp to create your own bebop.smx.
  • Load a new map or restart your game server.
  • Confirm that the Bebop plugin is installed. In the server console type sm plugins list. You should see something like this:
sm plugins list
[SM] Listing 25 plugins:
01 "Admin Help" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
02 "Admin File Reader" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
03 "bebop.smx"
04 "Reserved Slots" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
05 "Human Director" (1.031) by Luc_Skywalker(THE Director, code), ValVal(Text), [CPC]ShinSH(code), la communaute CPC.
06 "Sound Commands" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
07 "Anti-Flood" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
08 "Fun Commands" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
09 "Basic Comm Control" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
10 "Player Commands" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
11 "Basic Chat" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
12 "Left 4 Dead Infected Spawner" (1.0) by Fexii
13 "Basic Commands" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
14 "Basic Info Triggers" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
15 "L4D Vote Manager 2" (1.5.5) by Madcap
16 "Client Preferences" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
17 "L4D2 Remove Lobby Reservation" (1.0.0) by Downtown1 +Modified [X]BetaAlpha
18 "AdminCheats" (0.11) by devicenull
19 "Basic Votes" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
20 "Basic Ban Commands" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
21 "Left 4 Dead Infected Spawner" (1.0) by Fexii
22 "L4D and L4D2 game mode changer" (3) by Sharft 6
23 Disabled: "Nextmap" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
24 "Fun Votes" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
25 "Admin Menu" (1.3.0-dev) by AlliedModders LLC
  • Confirm that the Bebop plugin reports it's version. In the server console type bebop_version. You should see something like this:
bebop_version
"bebop_version" = "0.2 beta"
notify replicated ss_added
- tells the running version number of bebop
  • Me and my friends Connect via the console or the Steam Group list. We can also connect via the lobby. See below posts.
  • To connect to your server from a lobby, you can add a persistent setting to your game's launch options. In the Steam "My Games" window, right click on Left 4 Dead 2 and select properties. Then click on "Set launch options" and add +mm_dedicated_force_servers server-ip-addr:port (port not necessary if you're using the default port of 27015). You must be the one who created the lobby for this to work. As noted, this setting is persistent and you will always connect to your server if you start a lobby.

Last edited by chickenside; 12-05-2009 at 17:09.
titan_rw
Old 11-30-2009 , 20:28   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #34

The only thing I noticed that's annoying is when someone goes idle, either by clicking 'take a break', or by sitting still for the timeout period. It's hard to get back in game. You get the team selection box, and you click survivors. Then it pops up again a split second later. You have to click really fast between the team selection box coming up in order to 'take control' of your old character. I've noticed it sometimes switches you to another character too, if there's less than a full lobby present. IE: if there's only 2 humans, and one goes idle, then comes back, he will switch to a character that was previously a bot. (with a bot controlling his old character).

Also, It's probably been mentioned, but you cannot defib a 'clone'. Items get switched around for the 'original' character. Can this be scripted out, or is it a permanent bug because of game limitations?
chickenside
Old 11-30-2009 , 21:55   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenside View Post
I'm not sure if this plugin will work if you try to connect from the lobby.
I can report that this plugin does indeed work if you connect from the lobby. We use the trick where we bind a key for mm_dedicated_force_servers *.*.*.*
bind f11 "mm_dedicated_force_servers server-ip-address:port"
and the lobby leader hits it right before starting the game. Even though you can't open the console in the lobby in L4D2, hitting the key still works. After my friends started the game from the lobby, I joined as the 5th with no problems. Excellent!

Last edited by chickenside; 11-30-2009 at 21:57.
titan_rw
Old 11-30-2009 , 22:04   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #36

"mm_dedicated_force_servers" works now? Last time I tried it, it didn't work. I had to use sv_search_key.

search-key works, most of the time. Sometimes I have to restart the server to get the lobby to find the server. I just have my autoexec.cfg set the sv_search_key on startup, so I don't have to remember to set it in the console before entering lobby.

I found the old ms_force_dedicated_server easier though. If the new version of that command is working again, I may use that instead.
chickenside
Old 11-30-2009 , 22:18   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan_rw View Post
"mm_dedicated_force_servers" works now? Last time I tried it, it didn't work.
My friend started a lobby and tapped his bound mm_dedicated_force_servers key just before he clicked start game, and it took them to my server. I then joined later as the 5th player. We did not test going back to the lobby, but we will soon.
dacomb
Old 12-01-2009 , 02:52   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenside View Post
Brief but hopefully comprehensive guide to how to get bebop working on a dedicated Linux L4D2 server.

instructions...
Dude! You Rock! Thanks you!

On a side note, I have both of these commands listed in my game's autoexec.cfg file. I haven't had any issues connecting to either of my 2 L4D2 servers and I don't have to enter it in the console upon game launch.

mm_dedicated_force_servers
sv_search_key

I'll update my MM and SM packages as I think they may be a revision or so behind and report back my progress.

Thanks again Chicken!!! That makes a lot more sense.
frool
Old 12-01-2009 , 04:52   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #39

Quote:
The only thing I noticed that's annoying is when someone goes idle, either by clicking 'take a break', or by sitting still for the timeout period. It's hard to get back in game. You get the team selection box, and you click survivors. Then it pops up again a split second later. You have to click really fast between the team selection box coming up in order to 'take control' of your old character. I've noticed it sometimes switches you to another character too, if there's less than a full lobby present. IE: if there's only 2 humans, and one goes idle, then comes back, he will switch to a character that was previously a bot. (with a bot controlling his old character).
Yes. this is currently a bug. But it can be scripted out. I'll guess i release a new version on the weekend that contains a fix to this.
This problem is because when you go idle (as a NON ORIGINAL survivor) you get put into noclip spectator mode. Teh team selection box only should show when you're a normal survivor. Also you don't need to click it, just press cancel.

The reason you get spapped arround is because you're rejoining the survivor team when afk. just go afk/back again and you should get your old character.

But i don't like that too so i'm trying to fix Btw. titan_r you're on l4d2 right?

Quote:
Also, It's probably been mentioned, but you cannot defib a 'clone'. Items get switched around for the 'original' character. Can this be scripted out, or is it a permanent bug because of game limitations?
Sorry i don't understand this. define a clone?

Thanks to chickenside for this great tutorial on how getting this running on linuxx. i'm gonna update the main post
titan_rw
Old 12-01-2009 , 11:27   Re: [L4D1/2] bebop - additional coop players (20 players possible)
Reply With Quote #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by frool View Post
But i don't like that too so i'm trying to fix Btw. titan_r you're on l4d2 right?

Sorry i don't understand this. define a clone?

I am using L4D2. If this works in l4d1, I may install it on my l4d1 servers too.

Clone, as in not one of the original survivors.

I know when a clone startles the witch, she will go after the original survivor, and not the clone. (Clones don't have to fear the witch, she will incap / kill the other survivor)

This seems to be a similar thing with defibs. If you defib a clone, the game runs the defib 'code' on the original survivor. The original gets weapons / ammo that the dead clone had. So he looses whatever he had before his clone was defibbed.