This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?

Post New Thread Reply   

Sammy-ROCK!
Old 12-04-2008 , 15:26   Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #1

I don't see a good point.
1st You already paid $50 for the game.
2nd You barely have control.
3rd If you make cool plugins after the canpaign it'll send players to another server.
4th To change most of cvars you need sv_cheats. Which not even SendConVarValue prevents clients from using.
5th After canpaign ends your server is stuck in finale map (fail much?)
6th You can pay $12 in trade for no one joining your server due to fail password system. (connect and open console. Why? Mess a bit more of course)

Does anyone actualy see a point?
Whenever your server is full after the canpaign players will be sent to another server by lobby (Which was the worst idea ever!). Server owners have basicaly no control over server...

I bet if valve doesn't fix it for server owners they'll lose many servers. Yet there are many because it's new but without control peoples get bored (like me).

Last edited by Sammy-ROCK!; 12-04-2008 at 15:31.
Spikeectf2
Old 12-04-2008 , 16:31   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #2

running in coop is buggy.
but you can run in vs and block the rcon command steam uses to change from coop or vs depending on whose is trying to join your server from a lobby.
that will make sure it stays in vs.
you can block voting now so ppl cant change it.
we have 3 and thier always full make sure your server is set to lobby only 0
then you have plenty of control.
swifty29
Old 12-04-2008 , 17:16   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #3

I would like to run a vs only server, how do you do that?
Sammy-ROCK!
Old 12-04-2008 , 17:46   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #4

How do you prevent players from getting kicked after all 5 maps of the vs canpaign end? I tried everything but couldn't do it. You seem to be my last hope.
DontWannaName
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2008 , 19:23   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #5

I got mine for 10 bucks with a website and stats when they become available, also email.

CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2008 , 21:57   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #6

You can find better deals than 17 bucks first of all. Also, the game does still have bugs, but what game doesn't. Valve just issued a patch tonight that took care of some major issues and there will be more on the way. It seems they are getting the game situated first before doing more content so that is good.

This is not a normal game by any means, so you cannot expect to have a massive amount of control over it.
monkman
Old 12-04-2008 , 22:32   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #7

i have 2 $12 private servers and l4d kicks ass. a nice touch and addon to our dod:s clan. it is actually cool to not have a bunchs of mods and stuff. doing what you are supposed to be doing, playing. i haven't had any major issues. any problems/bugs/glitches/exploits will be fixed by updates not the new weapons, maps and zombies they will update us with. relax, it just came out. it is not a console game, it is a steam release which everyone knows are always works in progress kinda. frag on and don't startle the witch damnit, lol
Sammy-ROCK!
Old 12-05-2008 , 15:53   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #8

You have to pay 17 if you don't wanna a fail password in your server.
monkman
Old 12-05-2008 , 19:23   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #9

what do you mean a fail password? people have no problems getting in with passwords at all.
msleeper
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2008 , 22:26   Re: Question: Why would you pay 17 bucks for a l4d server?
Reply With Quote #10

$15 for a L4D server at Cyberwurx.com