This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Plugin names displayed to users?

Post New Thread Reply   

Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-27-2013 , 10:46   Plugin names displayed to users?
Reply With Quote #1

OK, so this is an opinion thing.

I was wondering if people would prefer for plugin names to be displayed to users in English, or if they'd prefer that plugin names be displayed to users in their native languages when possible.

This would likely include any changing of the game's description based on the current server language.

Last edited by Powerlord; 09-27-2013 at 10:47. Reason: any, not and
RedSword
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 09-30-2013 , 01:16   Re: Plugin names displayed to users?
Reply With Quote #2

Hard, hard question.

I believe that users would prefer the original name, since I believe in many countries people put their Steam in english (but I've no evidence saying this). However I think that for games where the community is younger (like in free2play games, i.e. TF2), I feel that the home language should be used.

I believe in Europe the answer would be something else. For example people coming from Germanic would have less problem with english plugin name (like over 80% of Sweden (or is it Norway ?) 's population has declared to be fluent (or understanding ?) in english). I do, however, believe that people outside germanic countries are less multilingual, hence preferring a name display in their own language.

But Europe really isn't North America (minus Mexico and ~Quebec). The multilingualism is more present, and the countries' language server more as unification for a country's population AFAIK.

The above is me trying to see the question objectively; but personally I don't care.

Sorry for the vague answer,

Someone living a place where the american english influence is really present (and is almost the only one).
RAWR (per player/rounds Awp Restrict.)
Kill Assist
Be Medic

You can also Donate if you appreciate my work
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 09-30-2013 , 08:00   Re: Plugin names displayed to users?
Reply With Quote #3

me speak earth = bad english
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-30-2013 , 08:08   Re: Plugin names displayed to users?
Reply With Quote #4

The reason I was asking this question is that I'm writing a MultiMod plugin that other participating plugins would have as an optional dependency... and I was wondering if it was worth the trouble of forcing them to register a callback for translating their plugin name for use in votes and menus.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-01-2013 , 00:54   Re: Plugin names displayed to users?
Reply With Quote #5

I'd prefer to see them in English because I play most of my games in English. Also I think even if you don't play the game in English it shouldn't be a problem if the plugins are.
Also you are saying that it will change the game description based on the language. Wouldn't this be more confusing if I was searching for a server with your mod and it would have many different names because of the translation?!

www.unterwasserpyromanen.de