This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin

Post New Thread Reply   

Author
msleeper
Veteran Member
Plugin ID:
Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Server Management
Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Attract and autoban achievement farmers
    Unapprover:
    Reason for Unapproving:
    Read my post. All issues outlined are in there.
    Old 02-26-2009 , 17:12   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #1

I never said it wasn't.

In re: one of the Karma remarks, no this won't stop me from releasing plugins. Hopefully people won't think that a "very basic high ping kicker" plugin I am about to release is controversial but who knows these days.
    Old 02-26-2009 , 17:34   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #2

First of all I would like to thank every one from the list who came here and signed up to nuke msleepers karma for his ridiculous plugin and insults to those who are the working shlubs as opposed to those who live solely on the interwebs setting rules as they see fit.

To msleeper no one said to not make plugins.... rather what has been said to you and you dont understand that this plugin is dumb. To ban people for going to a server to get their achievements is ridiculous. Perhaps you would rather they took up time in a regular server to do the same thing?

Whats really wrong with some friends getting together and grinding achievements? Are we not playing TF2 the way you think we should according to your rules? Can you show me the Tf2 manual where it says we cannot or should not do this to get the weapons? You were even trolling for a list of Id's of people who used the stupid unlocker for the weapons so they could be banned too. Here's an idea write yourself a plugin to filter out non vanilla players. That way you only get "pure" players who have never broken the laws of msleeper in tf2. They should be Grind free, default skins, default sounds and on and on and on. I dont know why when you call every one cheaters you expect good karma

On a different note Im sure you make fine plugins, this one is way off base imho, and telling people they are personally attacking you because they dont like your plugin is laughable
    msleeper
    Veteran Member
    Old 02-26-2009 , 17:40   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #3

I think you're missing the point. Nobody is forcing you to use the plugin, or enforce the banlist I have up. I am being called self-righteous, but then being flamed and -Karma'd for something that nobody is being held at gun point to use.

If you don't like it, don't use it. End of story.
    Old 02-26-2009 , 18:29   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #4

This is not some noble cause that warrants beating your own drum in a one-man parade.

What you're doing is the equivalent of a child offering to share their toys with another child, then taking them away and yelling "NO! You're not allowed to play with my toys anymore! And my friends all hate you too! Hey everyone! Isn't this person stupid! Don't ever play with him because he's stupid!"
    msleeper
    Veteran Member
    Old 02-26-2009 , 18:49   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #5

You're free to think that. I think it is noble, and I think that if I had released this sooner - say, right after the Medic update - then maybe people would not have become as complacent with farming in the first place. Your example is bad too, by the way, because it implies that toys are bad. A better example would be posing as an underage girl and luring people to see you for sex, but then the police show up and bust you. If you weren't going to be doing something against the rules, you wouldn't have been there in the first place.

And, yet again, I need to reiterate that this plugin is designed for communities who feel similarly about farming. Farming may be a-okay on your servers, but on mine it earns you a ban.
    Old 02-26-2009 , 19:20   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #6

I feel sorry for the scouts in your server that take the last point, or destroy a sentry gun.

lol, jk
    Stop the madness..This is not SPARTA !!
    msleeper
    Veteran Member
    Old 02-26-2009 , 19:11   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #7

As a side note, whenever a plugin approver decides to Approve or Decline this plugin, feel free to clean up any of the posts that may be breaking any forum rules.
    Old 02-26-2009 , 20:51   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #8

Updated first post with debug command information.
    Old 02-27-2009 , 00:27   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #9

Your SteamID is not private information, there are a hundred ways of finding it out. If you think your SteamID is hidden, put it in Google and see how many results come up for it. As for being labeled a cheater or a hacker, my list is not authoritive.

There's not much I can do about people editing the plugin to make it hidden. AlliedModders requires my source code be publicly posted, which I have no problems with, but that does mean anyone who is smart enough to do so can change whatever they see fit and run it. I have submitted this plugin following all of AM's guidelines, including a public announcement cvar which would allow this to be searched for, found and tracked, but I haven't seen fit to add any custom tags to it nor am I required to.
    Old 02-27-2009 , 00:42   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
    Originally Posted by msleeper View Post
    Your SteamID is not private information, there are a hundred ways of finding it out. If you think your SteamID is hidden, put it in Google and see how many results come up for it. As for being labeled a cheater or a hacker, my list is not authoritive.
    While this is true, it's an effective comparison to putting someone's real name online. Your name isn't private, but it is a way of identifying you publicly. It draws attention, and often in a bad way. It's generally looked down upon, and questions moral code.

As for the editing of CVARs to hide plugins, VALVe's concern is definitely understandable, and they're right in being hesitant to support server side modifications. But at the same time, any plugin can be hidden, even MetaMod itself could be if someone feels compelled to rewrite a bit of the code and compile it themselves. In such cases, we have plugin approvers to decide whether the morality and practicality of the plugin is within acceptable bounds, as well as other points such as clean coding, active author, etc.

At this point, it's really up to the plugin approvers to decide which side has more merit.