This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife

Post New Thread Reply   

DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 03-30-2018 , 17:30   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejziponken View Post
I know some might remove it, but i still think it would stop lots of servers using it since they would have to spread the removed version to all the server owners.
As easy as it is to spread those plugins, as well as the possible "suggestion" for changing core.cfg, as easy it would be to distribute a secondary MM:S/SM set capable of doing the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejziponken View Post
Also it requires them to remove it for each update, and maybe they could implement it in a way that would require some effort to remove it and have it working. Maybe they could put it in Metamod or the binfiles.
A random SourceMod Pull Request #767, and a random MetaMod Source Pull Request #35.

If you look at these "files changed" sections linked, you're gonna see it will be very easy to take the green lines (added now), and replace them with the red lines (removed now) instead, which would be the task needed to simply revert the change and still allow the plugins to run.

With the open source MM:S and SM, I'm afraid AlliedModders won't be able to provide you with a foolproof solution to the issue.

With your suggestions, about the SM team should do something, we're ending up in the classic "security by obscurity" like way, where you are not actually fixing the problem, but simply camouflaging the problem.

Camouflaging the problem alone won't lead anyone anywhere, except leading the people doing it through a lot of wasted time for nothing.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].

Last edited by DarkDeviL; 03-30-2018 at 17:30.
fragnichtnach
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-01-2018 , 10:22   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #2

What is the worst case that could happen to server owners using those plugins?

a) used tokens including the relying account gets blocked
b) Valve comes up with a fix and reimplement ip-bans
c) lawer of Valve came up with a compensation claim
d) ...

What do you think?

Last edited by fragnichtnach; 04-01-2018 at 10:23.
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 03-30-2018 , 11:26   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #3

Laziness.
fragnichtnach
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2018 , 02:10   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #4

The solution would be very easy. Even without IP bans. Just increase the amount of servers per account monthly from 1 to 1000. For each month after you are holding without problems the amount increases.I would even prefer if Valve is selling the tokens by themselves for maybe 5 Euro.

As I heard of the new trade restrictions, there was some hope that they will finally add one of the solutions. But probably after all the shitstorm they do not do something that is pointing in the same direction.
nguyenbaodanh
AlliedModders Donor
Old 04-03-2018 , 06:37   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragnichtnach View Post
The solution would be very easy. Even without IP bans. Just increase the amount of servers per account monthly from 1 to 1000. For each month after you are holding without problems the amount increases.I would even prefer if Valve is selling the tokens by themselves for maybe 5 Euro.

As I heard of the new trade restrictions, there was some hope that they will finally add one of the solutions. But probably after all the shitstorm they do not do something that is pointing in the same direction.
Why would valve waste more time and money to solve this? While they are the last one get the money from this .
Feels like they even want people to only play on their official servers. Why would they care about community servers anymore ?
Wakeup, they making money. It's their main priority.
Old 04-04-2018 , 17:28   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #6

Valve can patch this exploit and block clients displaying hacked in paintkits.

Instead of fixing the root cause Gayben opted to build GSLT as it generates revenue. Valve spent almost 2 months of resources to build GSLT. Thats not cheap.

As one of the first creators of paintkit plugins well before !ws existed. I wrote to Valve outlining the exploit. They opted for GSLT to generate revenue so I leaked code and built the first token site Token Stash in retaliation for them flipping me the bird.

Valve achieved exactly what they wanted. They are generating revenue off community servers.

The only fix is to patch the exploit.

Last edited by Neuro Toxin; 04-04-2018 at 17:30.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 04-05-2018 , 02:29   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #7

I am not sure if I am misunderstand you, neither here nor elsewhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro Toxin View Post
Instead of fixing the root cause Gayben opted to build GSLT as it generates revenue.
"sv_setsteamaccount" was introduced long time before they were called GSLT's (February 2014 vs July and November 2015, where the requests not to do this, and the mandatory tokens became effective).

So, to make a request on July 2015, and to make them mandatory in November 2015, when the system was "released" February 2014, ... where is your evidence that this was actually made for the revenue part?

If it was for profit, they would most likely have forced it before, as the system was existing, just not under the GSLT name.

Quote:
Valve achieved exactly what they wanted. They are generating revenue off community servers.
You have been posting what I so far, without any evidence would call "garbage" in other posts, I kindly suggest you stop letting shit out unless you also share evidence for your claims in this particular story.

Quote:
The only fix is to patch the exploit.
We do agree 100% with this, it can be fixed on Valve's side, in various different ways, rather then the current system with banning server tokens.

Steam Client / CS:GO client could for example refuse to view items you don't have in your inventory, etc... Just to mention one.

Anyway, for the other parts, if you have no evidence for your claims, please stop the "garbage" sharing...

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 04-05-2018 , 10:02   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #8

This entire thread is people "simply moaning". I'm sure what sort of interest you have in my post specifically.

It's not our job to provide what the players want. We're the owners, not them. My one and only job is to make the server I want to attract the type of pleyr I want.

The problem is that it's currently impossible to attract that player is inundated by servers that shouldn't even exist, full of players that wouldn't be there if the servers didn't exist, which only exist to generate easy ad revenue.

The players aren't "getting bored", they're simply being overrun by things that shouldn't even be there.
Fluxxx
Old 04-05-2018 , 18:27   Re: [CS:Go] Problem with the situation about !ws / !knife
Reply With Quote #9

You are "simply moaning" and your opinions mean nothing to valve because you're a merely a ant to them.
You're to simply accept the fact the game is dying and the community isn't how it was before and live about your life or dont host csgo servers like wtf not that hard to understand.

You emailing them wont do a single thing.