This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

View Poll Results: SourceMod Continuation?
Delay. I'd rather wait for you guys to make a very complete product. 25 37.88%
Use Small and make an AMX Mod X port. I still want SourceMod as soon as possible! 41 62.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Public Vote, Discussion Log

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

ratty
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-26-2006 , 19:43  

I'd rather see something out sooner than later, I hate what's available now, even matti scripts isnt what amx was. If you just cook something up quick to get people on board, you can later release a 2.0 that has a new language.
And having something out that people are using can give satisfaction to the coders, as well as feedback on what's relevent and needed.
It's like this proverb I just read, "Prudence becomes procrastination".
ratty
SourceMod Donor
Old 03-26-2006 , 19:52  

Bah, I can't edit my own posts. I guess I better get it right. But I wanted to add to my previous post a question:

Were you planning on making it compile each plugin everytime you start srcds? That seems a little "crufty". I hope it would at least cache the objects and only recompile if the date on the source file changes or something.
And what about php? That's pretty ultimate for easy + fast.
BAILOPAN
Old 03-26-2006 , 20:47  

PHP isn't easy nor is it fast. I say "easy" from the embeddability standpoint. Also, as a language design in and of itself, PHP is not good. As I said, I've looked over a large variety of options, so suggesting alternatives at this point is moot.

The plugin system would be the same as AMX Mod X. I.e., you run a compiler on your source code, and place the object file on your server. Compilation only occurs when the JIT reads your plugin (and that is cached in memory). The actual source code is never read by the server.

I like the proverb and there is some truth to it. It looks like at this point it's pretty clear what people want.
Old 03-26-2006 , 21:35  

Closure: (no pun intended... to LISP fans)

We will continue SourceMod Development with Small. Development will resume as soon as we get a team and TODO list finalized.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-26-2006 , 21:41  

Add me to the team if you have a place open for lackies =)
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2006 , 01:29  

Well, I'd personally like to see a 'perfected' system out there, but time is of the essence. And IMO there is an overasaturation of 'full on' plugins without what can socalled be a 'modular architecture' and honestly creates plugins that basically have too much, albeit some of these 'full on' plugins are very feature rich and very well done, even with their 'on/off' of certain features, but not the kind of...controllability of something like amxx (or future SourceMod).

While I know suggesting languages and architectures has been pointed out as moot, but out of curiosity have you looked into ruby?
http://www.ruby-lang.org/

Anyway, good luck! While I've been somewhat lacking in the department in the past I'd be happy to help with documentation and other things along the line .

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
BAILOPAN
Old 03-27-2006 , 02:20  

Ruby is an interesting language in that it has some rare features (like mixins), but it's far too bloated to be what I want (lightweight!).

Furthermore, it's got no JIT, and the garbage collector is primitive, non-realtime (mark/sweep). Not acceptable.

As I've said... there's little point in suggesting another language ;)
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2006 , 15:12  

was just curious, though I'm still withholding my vote due to IMO a "missing option"

Release with small and continue working on your own.

devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2006 , 18:18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN
Ruby is an interesting language in that it has some rare features (like mixins), but it's far too bloated to be what I want (lightweight!).

Furthermore, it's got no JIT, and the garbage collector is primitive, non-realtime (mark/sweep). Not acceptable.

As I've said... there's little point in suggesting another language ;)
How about assembly? Thats nice and light
Veteran Member
Old 03-28-2006 , 10:56  

I dunno, I'm leaning more towards BASIC :p

Closed Thread