This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Shining new Overlays

Post New Thread Reply   

Cleric
Old 06-16-2010 , 13:36   Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #1

After reading that Richard & Greyscale needed some new overlays I couldn't resist putting some things together. Since they've put so much effort into making ZR the way it is today, I just hope I can give something back.

This is my contribution:

Cleric Zombie Overlay Pack

Human Win 1:

(With black&red spat)

Human Win 2:

(With red spat)

Zombie Win:

Zvision:

Logo Design:

I can make alot of changes to the logo, make it more flexible, add transparency etc, it was more or less something I put together since I had everything open in Photoshop.

Installation:

Download Cleric_Zombie_Overlay_Pack.zip and unzip it to your game folder and download server.

Open:
cfg/sourcemod/zombiereloaded/zombiereloaded.cfg

Change:
zr_roundend_overlays_zombie "overlays/zr/cleric_zombies_win"
zr_roundend_overlays_human "overlays/zr/cleric_humans_win"

Open:
addons/sourcemod/configs/zr/playerclasses.txt

Change:
"overlay_path" "overlays/zr/cleric_zvision"
You need to do this for all classes.

Everything is more or less a draft, so feel free to give me some feedback.

And Grayscale, Im sorry for the delay. Hope this still works for you.

Im using the overlays on my Dev server at Cleric.Nu:27017 if you want to take a look at them ingame. Its a Swedish server, fyi.

Enjoy

[Mirror] http://www.cleric.nu/dump/Cleric_Zom...erlay_Pack.rar
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cleric_Zombie_Overlay_Pack.zip (2.56 MB, 524 views)

Last edited by Cleric; 06-16-2010 at 14:18.
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 06-16-2010 , 15:52   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #2

Very impressive!

However I think the zvision has too much blood. A lot of people might find that annoying, so they just disable it and all your work is wasted.

Otherwise we just need to agree on what license we should use on those overlays when they are bundled in the release package. GPL? Creative Commons? (maybe this one: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) You probably want to be the copyright holder too.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
Greyscale
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 06-16-2010 , 22:17   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #3

Woot! Glad you got them released.
Old 06-17-2010 , 02:37   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #4

Thank you, glad you all like it.

You're totally correct, my players complains a bit about the amount of blood. I always thought it was suppose to be an inconvenience, thats why I made it that way.

But I can always make a couple of overlays with different amount of blood. Either you pick one or you could use different overlays for different classes.

Im not that big on copyright, sharing is caring. But CC sounds about right, and I can be the copyright holder if its all the same to you. As long as I get a line in the credits I don't care ;)

And in the future when Im all rich and famous I will hire a butler to kick me in the ass when Im procrastinating ;)
Old 06-17-2010 , 08:56   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #5

Pick your license here: http://creativecommons.org/choose/

You only need to answer the two first questions. Once you've chosen one, you'll see a link to a summary of the license (how it will look like) in the first paragraph.

In the credits we could have your full name if you want to and a web site link (cleric.nu I guess). That will probably give you some more reputation on the web.

Different zvsions for different classes would be cool too. Class settings can also prevent players from disabling it. Maybe a slow zombie can't see that well, and fast zombies have better vision.

(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 06-17-2010 , 10:12   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #6

Summary of testing:
  • Keep left and right side of zvision clear (not too much blood). Then players get a better field of vision.
  • Make blood 75% visible or something, so it's not too dominating in dark areas.
  • Also try green blood.
  • Team win overlays might be annoying because players can't do anything (like pick up weapons they want). However this is the server admin's decision.

(Btw, your server is now visible in the server browser. No filters applied)

Last edited by rhelgeby; 06-17-2010 at 10:17.
Cleric
Old 06-17-2010 , 13:32   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #7

Alright, I chose http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/se/ for the overlays. No problem there right? Easy for anyone to continue on my work? Does NC interfere with server hosting companies, and if, I don't mind changing.

And as for credit, Cleric and Cleric.Nu will do just fine.

Right, now for the fun stuff.

Click to see them large.

Light

Medium

Heavy

The Light version is the one I put a lot of effort into, tried to follow your feedback. Stripped a lot of the spills in the middle and on the left and right sides, changed the opacity of the blood to 75%, added a dash of whitegoo instead of green stuff, made the blood darker and made the hud more visible.

Am I moving in the right direction or away from it?

Medium and Heavy are more or less concept art, a little feedback on them since I don't know how a overlay thats actually suppose too be annoying should be.

Im hoping to have some time over tonight to make the Win Overlays without the background images and only text and blood.

Im typing in a hurry, dont know if I've forgot something.
Old 06-17-2010 , 14:09   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #8

Idea: Blood overlays could be a good indication on HP left. The more HP, the less blood.

In that case, I think the medium one should have a bit more blood, so we get three levels of blood amount.

Last edited by rhelgeby; 06-17-2010 at 14:11.
murpher
Old 06-17-2010 , 21:45   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #9

I used the end round over lays ( Would use the zr vision but people would be angry because it restricts the screen a lot) And the things I heard from players is that they like the over lays they just wish they were more transparent so they can still see when the round ends.
Other than that good job
LiMaaa
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-16-2010 , 05:58   Re: Shining new Overlays
Reply With Quote #10

I am trying to create some new overlays, i need to test them but i only use photoshop and am not sure how to convert them into vmt and vtf files.

i have vftedit but i am not sure of the settings needed, could someone please show me how to convert my overlays to work in zombiereloaded or guide me, thanks.