This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

"texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error relationship

Post New Thread Reply   

meTaLiCroSS
Gaze Upon My Hat
Old 08-03-2014 , 16:51   "texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error relationship
Reply With Quote #1

I've been having this error since I added many models to a server. Funny thing that is not me, it's just a group of players that in a certain moment of the game his hl.exe crashes with "texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error.

First I thought that this error was caused by some maps with many lights with names and quantity of textures with lights may crash clients.

But by another way, I discovered that some models (6 exactly) that I've added have some big textures, more than 512px.

Does the models' texture size can trigger this error on some clients? I don't know if it related to maps or to models, I also have less than 512 models, so I don't think that it's a model overflow problem.

Maps wad textures are loaded ok, everyone has its .res respective file, so I don't understand what I can also check
.Dare Devil.
Veteran Member
Old 08-04-2014 , 23:15   Re: "texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error relationship
Reply With Quote #2

The reason why some clients got this error is that they have played more than 1 map before entering your server.
Each time you load different map the textures what aren't yet precached on system will be precached and after the map change they wont get unprecached.

There's a hardcoded limit for textures. sadly i dont remember what that limit was, it wasnt 512 thats for sure.
( perhaps 2048 or 4096 )
meTaLiCroSS
Gaze Upon My Hat
Old 08-05-2014 , 17:32   Re: "texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error relationship
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Dare Devil. View Post
The reason why some clients got this error is that they have played more than 1 map before entering your server.
Each time you load different map the textures what aren't yet precached on system will be precached and after the map change they wont get unprecached.

There's a hardcoded limit for textures. sadly i dont remember what that limit was, it wasnt 512 thats for sure.
( perhaps 2048 or 4096 )
If that would be the case, this would happen on many players around the world. Also, this didn't happen before. There are some maps that we played since years and no one had troubles with this problem. Just started recently, so there must be another factor. (maybe an email to alfred to ask wtf?)
.Dare Devil.
Veteran Member
Old 08-05-2014 , 21:52   Re: "texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error relationship
Reply With Quote #4

Well, playing only one map may not do anything but if you play many maps with different textures you get your result.

Engine is clearing the buffer sometimes but im not sure when.I know that, the textures stay in memory not only one map.
meTaLiCroSS
Gaze Upon My Hat
Old 06-21-2015 , 16:26   Re: "texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error relationship
Reply With Quote #5

Bump, I seriously need feedback about this, it's totally unknown
Phant
Veteran Member
Old 06-21-2015 , 17:22   Re: "texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error relationship
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meTaLiCroSS View Post
But by another way, I discovered that some models (6 exactly) that I've added have some big textures, more than 512px.
Check number of textures in this models — how many in each?
Send a message via ICQ to Phant
meTaLiCroSS
Gaze Upon My Hat
Old 06-21-2015 , 18:37   Re: "texture overflow MAX_GLTEXTURES" error relationship
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phant View Post
Check number of textures in this models — how many in each?
There are actually a lot of models to check. But as I see many of them have more than 4 textures, others have less, and others just 1. Just realized that I'm using a model which haves 17 textures, around 500~508x500~508 pixels each one.

Players wanted to help me to reduce the error, and I told a few ones to replace that model by another one (default vip model from CS). Succesfully, many of them fixed this issue, but still persist in a lower frequency, like, 30mins.

Also, it happens more often in some maps than anothers, so I guess it's about all loaded textures in client memory. I need more accurate info