This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

SQL Responce Delayed

Post New Thread Reply   

nhdriver4
Old 11-09-2006 , 10:25   SQL Responce Delayed
Reply With Quote #1

I'm trying to debug a lag issue with using sql queries on my hosts machine.

Basically, when the server changes a map or first boots up, amxbans(for example) takes forever to retrieve the data, and lags out the server for 20+ seconds. I've tested multiple database servers and version, and they all result in the same lag. Does the module use a specific outbound port that the host might have blocked?

If I try to use my taglines plug in, which only does 1 simple query, it takes over 10 seconds for a response.

They insist that it's the mysql server. I know for a fact this isn't the case, because when i run my local server here on my machine, this lag doesn't happen. But that's typical of most hosts to try and push the problem off their shoulders.

So, I'd like to provide them with somewhere to start, so I'm not playing tag with their support department!

Any support on this would be greatly appreciated!
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 11-09-2006 , 10:55   Re: SQL Responce Delayed
Reply With Quote #2

You say when you run your local server you don't get lag... Do you mean, you run your game server and the mySQL server on the same machine?
Old 11-09-2006 , 11:14   Re: SQL Responce Delayed
Reply With Quote #3

The mySQL server is running somewhere in Texas, at a data center. My local testing server here on my home computer in New Hampshire pulls queries from that mySQL server in almost real time (no noticeable lag)

However, my game hosts machine in Chicago takes 20+ seconds to get a response from that same mySQL server.

I'm really boggled here. I've tried to explain that to my game host, however they insist that it's the mySQL server delaying. I'm thinking they have some kind of firewall setup that's delaying/blocking the sql communication? I dunno :/
Old 11-10-2006 , 07:23   Re: SQL Responce Delayed
Reply With Quote #4

So, any ideas on this? What technical information can I provide to my host that will help me debug this problem?