This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Workshop maps vs Fast download

Post New Thread Reply   

Chesterfield
Old 02-02-2015 , 15:13   Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, i have this question and i hope someone that tried fast download and workshop could help me, since a year i'm using a Fast download server to let people download all kind of stuff from my server in a faster way, but, i've seen that now, well, since really a good time, you can download maps from the workshop and let the normals download (textures, models) from the server. so this is my question, it is better a fast download (which cost money) or the workshop from steam?

Also, if you use maps from the workshop, will it cause any problem with plugins like Ultimate map chooser? i ask this because my server is a multimod server, and when the vote pops up i have something like this.

AIM
OFICIAL
SURF
KZ

And i wonder if we still will be abble to have the map votes in the same way as before even if we use maps from workshop.

Thanks in advanced and i'm looking foward your reply!
Chesterfield
Old 02-03-2015 , 07:41   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #2

nobody guys?
hamilton5
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2015 , 11:21   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #3

nobody what? I always recommend using the workshop... some might disagree. I am unsure how UMC works.

just try it out, you could have by now..
Chesterfield
Old 02-03-2015 , 13:49   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #4

Just wanted someones opinion to check if it is worth to use workshop instead of fast download!
Mathias.
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2015 , 17:29   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #5

workshop! Maps will auto update and it compatible with the client so if server have an old version but the client have the new version, he won't be able to join until you update it on your server, workshop just automatically updates maps for you. Don't have to worry about hosting, reliable, really low maintenance.

Last edited by Mathias.; 02-03-2015 at 17:30.
Chesterfield
Old 02-03-2015 , 18:37   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Rabbit View Post
workshop! Maps will auto update and it compatible with the client so if server have an old version but the client have the new version, he won't be able to join until you update it on your server, workshop just automatically updates maps for you. Don't have to worry about hosting, reliable, really low maintenance.
Hello, that's good to know since i'm mapper and i usually update my maps, i wonder now if Workshop maps will cause any trouble with UMC Mapcycle, i'll start testing it as soon as i can but i wanted to know if someone already had an experience like mine and could share that information with me

Thanks for your reply
dildoughy
Old 05-15-2016 , 15:57   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
Just wanted someones opinion to check if it is worth to use workshop instead of fast download!
Depends on your priorities, I think. I have kind of a hoarder mentality where I need to keep multiple backups of actual .bsps, one archived in a cloud, one on my fastdl webhost, one on a removable hard drive at home, so even if there may be redundancies/the occasional corrupted file/etc. I much more prefer to have an actual copy of the file.

I like the idea of Workshop maps being self-updating, but at this point in time there's so much clutter in the Workshop (i.e. people posting other author's maps without permission, people creating brand-new submissions for each release candidate) that it's not yet where I want it to be, yet.

I think the newer in-game map downloader and GameBanana's Modboy for Counterstrike are new-ish(?) so that might change my map management style a little.

Curious about how it works with UMC, too; I got combining workshop + regular map files to work on one server, my jump server, by pointing to the .ini file (I forget what it's called) instead of the mapcycle.txt, but the naming conventions are still a pain with the menu size limitations in Sourcemod. And I've literally never gotten UMC to work for me at all, even after spending hours painstakingly configuring all the .cfgs and mapcycles.
Old 05-15-2016 , 16:03   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #8

Since someone bumped this thread, UMC doesn't really support workshop maps.

Or rather, it does, but only on CS:GO for Windows.

This is actually Valve's fault for making / have special behavior in KeyValues files like UMC's configuration, which makes it so you can't use them in UMC map names in CS:GO Linux or TF2.
Old 07-03-2016 , 06:08   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post

This is actually Valve's fault for making / have special behavior in KeyValues files like UMC's configuration, which makes it so you can't use them in UMC map names in CS:GO Linux or TF2.
Is there no possible fix for UMC and workshop maps then? My TF2 server heavily relies on having tier votes and the growing number of workshop only maps makes things more complicated.
hamilton5
Veteran Member
Old 07-03-2016 , 09:18   Re: Workshop maps vs Fast download
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post

What if you just used the base map name in UMCs KeyValues ? The game takes an ID or just the map name, it does not need to be the full path. Wouldn't this make it easier?