This site is a testing version, but all data is shared with the live forum.

Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Can you install L4D SERVER on a ANDROID device

Post New Thread Reply   

ZBzibing
Old 06-26-2018 , 04:34   Can you install L4D SERVER on a ANDROID device
Reply With Quote #1

The speed of our country has been speeding up, and many people will set up their own servers, but electricity has prevented them from supporting them for 24 hours. If they can set up a server on some Android devices, such as TVBOX, they believe that the server will increase a lot.
nosoop
Veteran Member
Old 06-26-2018 , 09:09   Re: Can you install L4D SERVER on a ANDROID device
Reply With Quote #2

In a practical sense, no. I assume most Android devices that you have access to are based on the ARM architecture, whereas most desktop / consumer-grade servers use x86(-64).

From what I know, Source Engine dedicated server builds only support x86 at this time.

If you can find a smaller unit that uses Intel / AMD CPUs, I suppose you can try those out. That said, I don't see a difference between those and those Android devices you were referring to; they'd both end up being always-on servers either way, running into the same power limitations.

(Re: rikka0w0's post below, I glossed over QEMU user emulation because that isn't feasible for most people.)

Last edited by nosoop; 06-29-2018 at 05:24.
rikka0w0
Old 06-29-2018 , 00:53   Re: Can you install L4D SERVER on a ANDROID device
Reply With Quote #3

It is possible to host a L4D2 server on an Android device. First you have to find out how to run linux (ARM) on Android devices. I suggest Linux Deploy, requires root access, and It allows you to install kernel modules, which are compulsory for QEMU and other virtual machines.

The above two methods give you a Linux Arm environment, however L4D2 server is x86 only (Up to now). So we have to some how emulate a x86 Linux environment on Arm Linux. There are two approaches:
1. ExaGear, https://thepi.io/how-to-run-x86-prog...-raspberry-pi/
2. chroot with QEMU: https://wiki.debian.org/QemuUserEmulation

Both approaches are doing the same thing, converting a x86 instructions to its ARM counterparts, and performance loss is unavoidable. After having a x86 Linux environment you can install wine to run Windows applications, but it will be even slower, and I do not recommend to run Windows version of the L4D2 server.

Once you have a x86 Linux environment, then you can install the L4D2 server as you deploying a server on a regular x86 Linux server.

The above approaches have not been verified. Some hints only!

PS: There are some very cheap VPS available. 1 CPU, 512MB, 20G HDD can host a 12-player L4D2 server (that's what I'm doing), and it costs me approx 5USD per month. My server is in Singapore. If you are not in the Asia-Pacific area, you may be able to get some even cheaper VPS, e.g. 20USD per year. The location of your VPS should be close to your place to minimize latency.

Update:
GNURoot Debian does not work with QEMU, since QEMU requires binfms kernel module.

Last edited by rikka0w0; 06-30-2018 at 07:16. Reason: Correct mistakes
ZBzibing
Old 07-27-2018 , 05:32   Re: Can you install L4D SERVER on a ANDROID device
Reply With Quote #4

Thank you very much for your response. I am here in Asia and the cost of Internet is higher.